Arcana Coelestia (Elliott) n. 700
The hells, as stated, being so numerous, let them be spoken about in turn under the following headings:
1 The hells of people who have gone through life hating, desiring revenge, and being cruel. 2
The hells of people who have gone through life committing adultery and acts of unrestrained lust; also the hells of deceivers and witches. 3 The hells of the avaricious, and in the same place, the
filthy Jerusalem and the robbers in the desert; and also the utterly foul hells of people who have lived wholly engrossed in the pursuit of pleasures. 4 Then other hells different from these mentioned
already. 5 Finally, people who are undergoing vastation. For these topics see the preliminary or the final sections to the chapters that follow.
- And Jehovah said to Noah, Enter,
you and all your house, into the ark, for I have seen you to be a righteous man before Me in this generation.
- Of every clean beast you shall take for yourself seven and seven of each, male and its
mate,a and of beasts that are not clean, pairs of each, male and its mate.a
- Also of the birds of the airb seven and seven of each, male and female, to keep their seed alive over the facec of the
- For in seven days' time I am making it rain over the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe out everythingd I have made from over the facec of the ground.
Noah did according to all that Jehovah commanded him.
- And Noah was a son of six hundred years, and a flood of waters came to be over the earth.
- And Noah went into the ark, and his sons, and his
wife, and his sons' wives with him, from before the waters of the flood.
- Of the clean beast, and of the beast that is not clean, and of the bird, and of everything that creeps over the ground.
Two and two they went to Noah into the ark, male and female, as God had commanded Noah.
- And there were seven days, and the waters of the flood were over the earth.
- In the six hundredth year of
the years of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep were split open, and the floodgates of heaven were opened.
there was rain over the earth for forty days and forty nights.
- On that very day Noah went in, and Shem and Ham and Japheth, Noah's sons, and Noah's wife, and the three wives of his sons with them,
into the ark.
- They, and every wild animal according to its kind, and every beast according to its kind, and every creeping thing that creeps over the earth according to its kind, and every bird
according to its kind, every flying thing, and every winged thing.
- And they went in to Noah into the ark, two and two from all flesh in which there was the spirit of life.e
- And those who
were going in, male and female of all flesh, went in, as God had commanded him; and Jehovah closed the way behind him.
- And the flood was forty days over the earth, and the waters increased and raised
the ark and lifted it above the earth.
- And the waters grew stronger and increased greatly over the earth; and the ark went over the facec of the waters.
- And the waters grew stronger and
stronger over the earth, and all the high mountains beneath the whole sky were covered.
- For fifteen cubits upwards the waters prevailed and covered the mountains.
- And all flesh creeping over
the earth breathed its last - birds, beasts, wild animals, and every creeping thing that creeps over the earth; and every man.
- Everything which had the breath of the spirit of lifee in its nostrils,
everything that was on the dry land, died.
- And He wiped out every beingd which was on the facec of the ground, from man to beasts, to creeping things, and to birds of the air;b and they
were wiped out from the earth; and Noah alone remained and that which was with him in the ark.
- And the waters became more and more over the earth for a hundred and fifty days.
a lit. man and his
b lit. bird of the heavens (or the skies)
c lit. over the faces
d lit. every substance
e lit. of lives
This page is part of
© 2000-2001 The Academy of the New Church