Arcana Coelestia (Elliott) n. 1777
This subject is continued at the end of the chapter.
- After these eventsa the word of Jehovah came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram, I am a shield to you, your exceedingly
- And Abram said, O Lord Jehovih, what will You give me, seeing that I go childless,b and the steward of my house is this Damascene, Eliezer?
- And Abram said, See, to me you have
not given seed, and behold, a son of my house is my heir.
- And behold, the word of Jehovah came to him, saying, This man will not be your heir, but he who comes out of your own loins will be your
- And He brought him outside and said, Look, now, towards heaven and count the stars, if you are able to count them. And He said to him, So will your seed be.
- And he believed in Jehovah, and
He reckoned it to him as righteousness.
- And He said to him, I am Jehovah, who brought you forth out of Ur of the Chaldeans, to give you this land to inherit.
- And he said, O Lord Jehovih, by what
shall I know that I shall inherit it?
- And He said to him, Take for Mec a three year old heifer, and a three year old she-goat, and a three year old ram, a turtle dove and a fledgling.
he took for himself all these, and parted each of them down the middle and laid each part opposite the other; but the birds he did not cut apart.
- And birds of prey came down on the carcasses, and
Abram drove them away.
- And as the sun was going down a deep sleep came over Abram, and, behold, a dread of a great darkness was coming over him.
- And He said to Abram, Know for sure that your seed
will be strangers in a land not theirs. And they will serve them,d and these will afflict them for four hundred years.
- And also the nation which they are going to serve will I judge; and afterwards
they will go out with great acquisitions.
- And you will come to your fathers in peace; you will be buried at a good old age.
- And in the fourth generation they will return from here, for
the iniquity of the Amorites has not yet come to a close.
- And the sun went down and there was thick darkness; and behold, a smoking furnace and a flaming torch which passed between those pieces.
On that day Jehovah made a covenant with Abram, saying, To your seed I will give this land, from the river of Egypt even to the great river, the river Phrath.e
- The Kenite, and the Kenizzite,
and the Kadmonite,
- And the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Rephaim,
- And the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Girgashite, and the Jebusite.
a lit. words
b lit. and I am walking
c The Latin means for you, but the Hebrew means for Me.
d i.e. as slaves
e i.e. the Euphrates
This page is part of
© 2000-2001 The Academy of the New Church